Efendy in Balmain, headed up by Chef Somer Sivrioglu, has recently undergone a little bit of a facelift, creating the Mezebar. I always knew Turkish food, and in particular Somer’s Turkish food, was fantastic, but the space now keeps up with his beautiful, modern food. I can vouch for the shakshuka, a rich tomato vegetable bake topped with melted haloumi, the lamb and walnut stuff bulgur shells are luscious lamb meatballs with a crunchy coating, the beef kebap with traditional iskender sauce and the rocket, hazelnut and fig salad is perfection. Perfection!! Dessert is essential, the meze dessert plate is so satisfying, particularly the centrepiece of Turkish rice pudding generously topped with Persian floss. I can’t wait to go back! Photos courtesy of Efendy (my broken camera was in the camera hospital.)
I'm Stephanie Williams, writer and editor.
The Airloom is where I share my favourite travel and food experiences, stories of inspiring people and places, plus a few random posts to keep things exciting. You might like to check out my new Instagram feed, @wearedesigntravel, exploring the intersection between design and travel.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm always keen to hear from you.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Catch Up Reading
- The Listing Magazine by Ray White
- Scoot Magazine: White Knuckle Winter
- Travel Ideas Magazine: Ski Nozawa Onsen
- My naked pants!
- Jetstar Asia: Skiing Niseko vs Nozawa
- Blue Mountains Wild Adventures Canyoning and Abseiling
- Sky Business: Talking travel to Lord Howe Island
- News.com.au: Australia’s most amazing island, according to David Attenborough
- Amazing Grace by Gurrumul and Paul Kelly
- Le Fou (The Crazy)
- Backpacker Essentials Cover Story: Thredbo on a Budget
- Talking travel on SKY
- Chewy hazelnut biscuits
- Gazebo Sydney Unveils New Look
- Scoot: Craft Brewing Hotspots